The axle Gear appliance is a 2U rack mount server with Intel Xeon-based processing power, built for radically simple media management. The system integrates axle Video’s award-winning axle Gear software, with mirrored disks for OS boot, 8 disks of 8 TB for 48TB local storage effective, and a 10 Gigabit Ethernet cards.
The core of the solution is axle’s Gear software, allowing radically simple media management and proxy browsing. The software includes:
- automatic proxy generation for one or more storage devices (SAN, NAS or DAS).
- intuitive browser-based HTML5 search interface with playable H.264 previews.
- advanced transcode option for proxy browse files as well as HD output formats.
- 5 named user license – each user can have different access privileges and permissions.
- plug-in panel for Adobe Premiere Pro CC with browse, search and bin level access.
- axle Cam media ingest module for rewrapping camera-based media.
- XML metadata import and export capabilities.
The integrated storage subsystem can be used to house either the low-res proxy media files generated by axle’s Gear software, or (in on-set applications) the high-res media files as well as low-res proxies. By default, axle Gear generates 1 Mbit/s MPEG4 H.264 proxies although a higher bitrate can be selected by the system administrator.
The system hardware includes a 12-core Xeon CPU clocked at 3.6 GHz, 64 GigaBytes of RAM, two 256 GByte boot SSD, and 48 TeraByte RAID 6, as well dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces for networking. Custom storage configurations can be configured optionally.
axle Video professional services are also available either remotely or onsite for system commissioning and training.